Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Life is Worth Living Just because He Lives

God isn’t who you think He is. He’s just not. The sooner you get that into your system, the better off you’ll be.  You may have a closer-to-accurate view of Him than some, but I guarantee you are not fully correct.
He is so far outside the box… The more I walk with Him, and even in the times that I’ve walked away from Him, I become more and more aware of the fact that I cannot even begin to comprehend Him.

For starters, I think I sort of understand how Job felt. Granted, I haven’t lost my already non-existent spouse and children. Haven’t lost all of my earthly possessions and haven’t been riddled with a physical illness so horrifying that people cringe at the sight of me and I scrape at my skin with broken clay pots (which, let’s face it, I probably broke them out of despair… but of course they weren’t mine, because I lost all my earthly possessions. But, wait, I didn’t.)

So you may be wondering how I can even begin to compare myself to Job then. And to that I say; Hey, hey now. I didn’t say I was like him. Just that I kind of know how he may have felt. In the process of all that happening, I would imagine the most prevalent emotions would be those of feeling as though your world is falling apart around you and you can’t stop it, and realizing your utter dependence on a being that seems set on destroying you. Even though you know somewhere in you that God does not intend to destroy you (or does He?), you have to actively tell yourself this daily… hourly… sometimes constantly. The end of your trial, if it is near (which you doubt), is not visible. And in the process of all of this, you find yourself becoming a very different person. But then, perhaps you always were that person and it is just coming to surface.

My life has fallen apart the past few years. And by “life” I don‘t mean the exterior sense of physical stability for the most part. I do mean everything that I have ever placed any amount of worth or foundation in. My family; my parents are on the verge of divorce and have been for almost 3 years now. The circumstances that have played into this and the events that have occurred have opened my eyes to see the truth of my childhood. The childhood that I always looked back on fondly has been tainted. The foundation and pride that I had always placed in coming from a good, stable family? Shattered. It made me realize that the past actually can change. We cannot change it ourselves, but what we thought was, isn’t always.

I’ve also seen this process tear up those who are most important to me; my siblings. Another point of pride for me; my siblings and I were always upstanding, good examples. Not necessarily the case any longer.

Through this whole process I’ve found myself in a place I never imagined. I thought I had experienced and known brokenness at its deepest level. I was wrong. I have been shattered. Which, to be honest, is a bit terrifying to me. Because if I thought I was broken before and was wrong… I’m probably wrong this time too.

In addition to family issues, I’ve had the harshest of circumstances test my sense of value and worth in myself. Which, in reality, didn’t need to be tested, but rather, destroyed in its utmost. In preface to this next part, I need to clarify that the person (who shall remain nameless, though identity is likely known by several if not many) is not within my ill will at all. They remain a friend and I hold nothing against them.  Anyway, there was one who said he was my best friend. This person knew me better than almost anyone can claim to.  For a while we were inseparable (not exactly a wise idea for 2 members of opposite genders attempting a simple friendship). Quickly enough, though, that all went downhill. Without going into what actually happened, the result in me was as follows. Since this person undeniably knew me for who I really was more than all but 2 others and subsequently rejected me, I concluded subconsciously that who I am was not good enough and I would never be accepted in the fullness of who I am. This decimated me. And I’m not exaggerating there, I mean, pinned-me-to-the-bed-staring-into-space decimated. (I do so hope this person never actually reads this…. That would be the core definition of humbling if not humiliating).

All of that occurred within months of my family issues being initiated. Fun times, let me tell you.

This all called to question almost everything that I’ve ever stood upon when it comes to my faith. I struggled almost constantly for the first year with the question of whether God was really good. I knew the answer.. I did. But did I know it enough to stake my life on it? I think I can say now that then I didn’t. I once believed in His goodness, but my belief was coupled with naivety. I hadn’t really had to trust His goodness because I had always been able to easily see it. And in the dark that was my soul, I couldn’t see it. But what did Jesus say? “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet still believe”. I know He was speaking in a different context, but I think it applies just the same.

There came a day in this time, and I don’t remember the circumstances or the exact date or any of that fun stuff, but it occurred to me that if my circumstances were able to dictate any aspect of who God is (including His goodness), then how would that make Him God? In that moment I realized that I did believe that He is good. Simply because He says He is. And He cannot lie.

And this realization was followed in the months/years to come by several others. New revelations of God’s justice; the fact that we have already been subject to His judgment (on some level) through the sacrifice of Christ. If we have stepped under the authority of that sacrifice, we have stepped out of the condemning judgment of God. (That truth right there is enough to make praise well up in me to the point of overflowing!) His sovereignty is so much greater than we could ever imagine. I have set my worth securely in Him. Without Him, I am not good enough for anything or anyone. The hurts inflicted by my friend have been washed clean. My value is Christ.

So I suppose you’re wondering how this all ties into the first couple of paragraphs. And reasonably so. Basically, I’ve lived my entire life with preconceived ideas of my life, of God and of the way things are “supposed” to be. I was oh so wrong.

The latest revelation I’ve had I sent to Sarah in a text yesterday; “So I think I’ve decided that if God deemed it good to squish me for His glory… I would be ok with this…” Some flowers were made to remain whole and aesthetically pleasing, while others were created to be squashed so that their fragrance can permeate the senses of those around them.

God is not who you think He is.

He does what He knows to be best. And believe me, He does know best. It may hurt… but it’s very much worth it. The healing that comes after a brokenness that you have allowed to remain open to God’s healing hand instead of becoming bitter and trying to heal yourself is more complete than you can imagine.

I do not in any way think that this process is complete. In fact, I fear it is just beginning. But I do not doubt God. Not in the slightest. I have many faults and fears that still call me home. But I have full confidence that God will evict them in due time.
Me off.

1 comment:

  1. Erin, I don't know if you check your blog anymore, but I hope that sometime you find this comment. I just want to thank you for being so open and honest about your life and relationship with God. He truly is so much more than we could ever imagine Him to be. Reminds me of the lyrics in the song Emphasis by Sleeping at Last: "The smartest thing I've ever heard is I don't have to have all the answers". I don't have all the answers about who God is or how He is working in the world today. I don't know.... But that's the blessing, I can get to know Him. How beautifully magnificent is it that the God of the Universe, the savior of the world, would want to know me and long for me to know Him and His love. My God, it's a beautiful story, a love story I don't deserve to be in and I guess that's the best part. If I come to the end of my life and that's all this is, a story...I will rejoice that I was part of something so beautiful, so right. I am a simple pebble sinking toward the bottom of an ocean of grace that I'll never reaching, drowning in love and never looking back to the past, never looking back to dry land.
    Erin, thank you for this blog post. I pray that God continues to reveal Himself to you, that you would experience his love when you need it most, and that God will continue using you for marvelous things.
    P.S. Just remember "A speck of light can re-ignite the sun and swallow darkness whole".

    <3, Julia

    ReplyDelete