Sunday, April 3, 2011

In the Meantime, Tethered Intermission

Yearbook April EP from Sleeping at Last! Woota. Just got back from W. DC. Will post more on that later

Tethered
We were married by the ocean
We were tethered by the sea
We tied strings around our fingers
To remember our ideals

I'll be brave when you are frightened
You'll be strong when I am weak in the knees
I'll be calm when you have had enough of these washing waves
You'll be the oxygen I need

We'll take turns to untangle the knots
Though our hands may be tied
It's all a part of the plot
Cat's cradle etiquette, we oblige
As we learn to unlace for the rest of our lives

You'll be balance when I waver
I'll be warmth when you are shivering cold
You'll be patience when I've had enough of this waiting game
I'll be the anchor cast below


Intermission
I'm so tired but I can't sleep
My mind is full but I can't speak
Among the dust of the hard-to-reach, I'm stuck
Right here somewhere between side a and side b

I could call it a compromise
Or just an intermission
Some kind of consolation prize
For the race I never finished

I want to turn these tired gears
I want to feel the follow-through
Some kind of equilibrium
Something to set my watch to

I'm here somewhere in between
Victory and a white flag
Caught in this purgatory dream, I'm stuck

But I want to set the record straight
I want to retrace my every step
If I could just rewind all the tapes
Then maybe I'd find my loose thread


In the Meantime
Maybe there's no answer here
At least one we're ready to hear
No string of words will satisfy
No simple equation to edify you

Here, in the meantime
May questioning nurture life

Fear is illogical math
An impractical skill to have
Still we talk of our future til we have no voice
We'll try to outsmart it with noise

But here in the meantime
May the unknown harvest life

We're conditioned to mourn our empty glass
Long before it ever poured out our past
Though patience is always short in supply
We'll leave our farsighted worries behind

Here in the meantime
In the gospel of nearsight
May we learn to live a nourished life

2 comments:

  1. I love the lyrics for In The Meantime....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intermission is such a beautiful song... my favourite from April
    Thanks for posting the lyrics :)

    ReplyDelete