Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Birthright:Outlines of the Pacific

Super excited about this installment of Sleeping at Last's Yearbook EP!! Why? Jon Foreman is in one of the songs!! Lyrics below.

Outlines
Hidden in plain sight
The world is an outline
Of shapes I used to know

Like pulling ribbon
All of a sudden
The curtains draw back slow

Though I've been distracted
I am caught up in static
No more

Garden of Eden
Lower your branches
For another year

I'm dust unsettled
Until they reappear

Though my hands are prone
To trial and error
I'm crossing my fingers
For something to hold

I can't help but hope for brighter
Here in the shadows of letting go

God, may these good intentions
Be the outline of so much more

When I breathe from now on
I'll mean it more than ever I did before


Birthright
She was raised by wolves
In the warmth of their fur
Surrounded by fangs
She knew that she was secure

Language barriers
Made no difference at all
When you're truly cared for
There's no purpose for walls

His fences stood tall
As the shoulders of old
But he dreamt that one day
Maybe he'd break the mold

But time shyly stands still
When you watch it unfold
From these ivory towers
Freedom is only a ghost

Privilege and pain
When compared look the same
Comprehension begins
When we pull back the lense

Right or wrong
Tension makes us stronger
By making us weak
When we needed to be

They made her their queen
On the day she was born
They placed on her a crown
She wasn't ready for

But all impossible odds
Foreshadow our means
Like paving a road
To a kingdom we've never seen

He woke up one day
Written out of the will
They swore he'd be ok
With lesser shoes to fill

What doesn't kill us
Makes us stronger they say
Our only birthright in this life
Is the breath we take

Our fables tell our truths

No comments:

Post a Comment