Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Knuckles that are White from Holding On

We interns have practice sermons coming up again in January. Its a little ways off, but I figure since I have time now and probaby won't later on, I should probably start working on it. Pastor Zach is having us each take the devotion for our birthday from "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. This excited me because I love that book. And beyond that, every time I read my birthday entry, even when its not actually on my birthday, it is so applicable to my life.

The verse used as the basis for the devotion is Revelation 3:10 which says, "Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth." Mr. Chambers then goes on to talk about what it means to persevere;
"Faith is not some weak and pitiful emotion, but is strong and vigorous confidence built on the fact that God is holy love. And even though you cannot see Him right now and cannot understand what He is doing, you know Him. Disaster occurs in your life when you lack the mental composure that comes from establishing yourself on the eternal truth that God is holy love. Faith is the supreme effort of your life— throwing yourself with abandon and total confidence upon God."
That's just a portion of what he talks about. Its funny how much this idea of persevering and holding on has been a theme of my life and conversation and thoughts lately. Jimmy and I just had a conversation last night about wanting to quit. He was saying that if he could say anything to the students who first come to the Dream Center, he would tell them that there will be a time that they will want to quit, but that they should stick it out because its worth it.

This sort of reminds me of my thoughts lately on being called to ministry and how, sadly, many people who are called don't seem to stick that call out to the end. They hit the testing period and can't get past it. As I talked with my brother he said that people only will want to quit if they are giving something their all. Its true, I think. Because when you pour your entire being into something, you're allowing all of you to come to the light. That includes the ugly parts. But this is a good thing. Because then those parts can be removed and made beautiful. But that transformation isn't easy.

But then, I think I've said all this before in some form or another.

Greatest joys of my life right now: two of my friends who have been struggling with some stuff are starting to turn around and are doing really well. Its so exciting to me when I see people finding out for real that Jesus is hope.

Greatest sorrow in my life right now: another friend of mine revealed to me his/her skepticism in God. This makes my heart sad. Pray for this person?

On a more shallow note, I am excited. Tonight I'm going to Stan Hywet Hall with a group of people. Should be fun. Might paint my room while Jimmy's home for Christmas. For some reason he's decided this is something that he wants to do. He's an odd one.

Never let go of God. The end.

Me off.

1 comment:

  1. '.. finding out for real that Jesus is hope.' I love that line, and love that you are allowing yourself to feel, even with as unkind & unpredictable as life can be. You are really living. Enjoy the sermon process, and I will be crossing my fingers in hopes we get to hear them! :)

    ReplyDelete