Monday, August 9, 2010

Called to Ministry; The Leap... and an explanation on the giraffes.

Did you know that I've seen a giraffe pretty much every day now for about 3 weeks? Its weird. Today, I saw one on an advertisement paper. I can't remember what they were advertising (no, it wasn't Toys-R-Us).. but there was a giraffe there. And I don't look for them either. But whenever I see one... well its weird.

Anyway, onto the main purpose here. My thoughts have been wandering back to when I first realized I was called to ministry. And subsequently to conversations I had with Sarah about said call. Its really interesting. In observing the people that have been around me over the years, I've noticed a pattern of sorts.

Believe it or not, I've known alot of people who have laid claim to a call to ministry at one point or another. Alot being somewhere close to 30 or so people who have said this. How many of those people have followed through with that (or even continued on with their walk with the Lord)? Only a handful. And it breaks me. I don't like seeing people throw away their potential at the first sign of trouble... which is usually when I've seen people bail. So as I've been looking back at the process that has led me to where I am, and the different points in which I've seen people become discouraged in this call... I've decided that there are several things that anyone who is called to ministry will most likely face.

The following is up for discussion entirely and should by no means be considered an exact process or formula. This is simply my observations.

1. The Call - Pastor Jeff has been known to tell a story about his pastor who once said that if you could do anything else besides ministry and be happy, you should do it. The reason being, its hard. Also, if you're called to ministry, there really is no way to escape it. You can't imagine doing anything else with your life. Period.

Now, when you first receive the call, chances are you had dreams and aspirations aside from ministry. These do not instantly go away. They may never go away actually... I really don't know. But the call is kinda like being invited to a party. You feel important and wanted. You know, because of what you've been told, that its going to be hard work. But the reality of it just hasn't sunk in yet.

Usually at this point, you just know you're going to be a pastor. This is commonly because it is the first thing most poeple think of when they hear "ministry". And I am aware that for many people, they really are called to be a pastor. In my case, this was not so. And likewise in many other cases that I have seen.

2. The Testing - This is the hard part. This is where I've seen most people choose a different path.

There is going to come a point after you have been called when you will hit your first season of hardcore doubt and testing. This is going to be a time where you question if you really heard God right. If God was even speaking to you. Maybe this whole call thing was just in your head after all... You're really not cut out for ministry. You might question if you have what it takes... etc etc.

Also at this point I've found that often times this is coupled with a place where you realize that your other dreams and aspirations are still viable options. Now, you would be tempted to believe that you have God on the ministry side and the devil on the other side fighting for your future. And, yes, that may be the case. But I've found myself wondering lately if maybe neither option is wrong. If you choose to go down the "other" path, maybe its God's way of saying "Hey, I want you to do this. I have this amazing plan for you in this calling. But I understand its a hard path. Its crammed full of trials, temptations, doubts, fears, insecurities and so many other things that you'll have to face. All while being held to a higher standard. So, this is your chance to choose something else." I fully believe that God would be with you if you did choose something else. He has plans for you regardless. But I also believe that the reward for following the call is greater than anything we could imagine.

So basically, you're looking at a fork in the road. One road leads to a relatively safe, normal life. The other leads straight to a cliff. But we'll get into that later. It is at this point; this fork, that you have a decision to make. Are you going to decide to step out on the fact that you know God has a plan for you in ministry (whatever kind of ministry that is... I'm not defining this term. I'm leaving it very open on purpose.) Or, you can choose to walk down a safer path.. still with God, still in His presence. But safer.

3. The Leap - Ok, so you decide you're going to trust what God said. If you do this, its vitally important that you go back to the time you first felt called. Remember what He said to you... and stick to it. Actually, the phrase "stick to it" doesn't say anywhere near enough. You basically need to fuse it to yourself.

At this point of deciding, the temptation and doubt that may cause you to go another direction will most likely be the most intense. You're going to feel a little (or alot) like you're about to jump off a cliff... or maybe like in The Emporer's New Groove:
Kuzco - "Don't tell me. We're about to go over a huge waterfall."
Pacha - "Yup."
Kuzco - "Sharp rocks at the bottom?"
Pacha - "Most likely"
Kuzco - "Bring it on."
Hmm. I like his attitude. At this point, you just have to face the cliff, square your shoulders and jump. Take the leap. Commit yourself. Say to yourself, "No matter what happens, I'm sticking this out to the end. Because I know if I do, God's there." Pastor Jeff also compares commitment to jumping off a high dive.  You're not really committed til you have actually jumped. Cause at that point, there's no turning back.

And be prepared for the ride of your life. In preparation, you will probably have to face things that are in you that you didn't know existed. Oh is that fun (sarcasm). You will encounter increasingly more difficult people to get along with. And you'll have to deal with them in love. And, well, the list could go on and on. And of course, God's going to be customizing you for the specific ministry He wants you to do. So that could mean any myriad of things will be coming your way.

But, on the other side of it, the reward is beyond what you can imagine. When you pray with someone to meet Jesus for the first time... When you see someone's life changed because you stepped out. Its indescribable.


I'll tell you what... for all the doubt you're going to encounter along the way, the other cliffs you're going to come across (oh yeah, did I tell you? It doesn't just stop at the first one. But trusting God gets easier along the way), for the opposition that you're going to face, for the failed atttempts, for the apathy that you have to push through (you're going to most likely hit a point where you just don't care anymore... and you have to anyway)... Its worth it. I can hands down say that you will never have a better experience in life than knowing that you're walking in exactly what God has for you.

Oh, a couple more things. In the beginning, you probably won't be so sure about the call (hence the doubt), but as time goes on, if you choose to keep leaping and trusting, your faith in what God told you will continually solidify. So just keep sticking it out.

Also, don't be surprised if, as you go along, you become less sure about what it is you're exactly going to do. You just gotta keep walking. Stepping out, one foot at a time. And really, you'll find you're more content that way. Not having a plan. Because then you dont' have to worry about what's coming cause God has it all covered. You just walk in what He's laid out for you.

I could honestly go on for alot longer with my thoughts on all of this kind of stuff. But I think I should probably end now. I just figured I should create an outlet for it... besides my windshield. Sooo, on that note.

Me off.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you used the Emperor's New Groove quote.... it was amazing and absolutely fitting. And.... its true. all of it. And it doesn't stop being true. AND .... I totally agree that the farther you go the less sure of exactly what you're going to do you are... but on the same hand, you know that what you're doing right NOW is exactly what you're supposed to be doing that the given time, and you become more content in that place. Love it.

    ReplyDelete