Monday, October 4, 2010

Sleeping at Last

Quotes from my current favorite band eevvveerrr, Sleeping at Last (yes I recognize the oxymoron in that sentence). They are lyrical geniuses

"Religion is a breeding ground; Where the devil's work is deeply found; With teeth as sharp as cathedral spires; Slowly sinking in" - "Naive"

"So slowly I'm losing; Who I've sworn to be; A promise in pencil; The years have made so hard to read; I've spent my life building walls; brick by brick and bruise by bruse; A birdcage religion; That whispered me to sleep; But time is spinning silk; That coils ruthlessly; With the devil's patience; It binds my hands so quietly; That soon it becomes a part of me; So soften these edges and straighten out my life; And help me remember; The hope I have compromised; Please be a broken record for me" - "Birdcage Religion

"Put your coat on; This city trembles; Keep your chin up; As you untangle God; From cold blood and bruises; ...Only with careful hands; We'll turn their fangs into feathers and cures; Only with careful hands; We'll divide the prisoner from the pioneer." - "Careful Hands"

"On paper my future will lay; I'll fold every failure into a crane; Trust is quicksand; Claming everything I have; All to give me life" - "Quicksand"

"Everything I love; Was made of porcelain; Ready to break; But the bright staggering light; It anxiously waits inside; Like nesting dolls the secret hides; And like every birth; It was a necessary pain; I know I know; It was all worth the wait" - "Porcelain"

"There is no language for what we've seen; Only the sweetness that bends us to our knees; And all of these fumbling words; To explain what it means; But our hearts were buried deep in the sand; ... There's no need to be afraid; Overwhelming love cascades; The melody will rise and swell; As it finds its way inside the shell; The mouth is a mirror... We must watch what we say" - "Side by Side"

No comments:

Post a Comment